Dentistry can be considered one of the oldest fields of medicine, with archeologists discovering teeth with rudimentary dental work over 13,000 years old! There’s no question that both dental technique and technology have come a long way since then.
However, one of the most advanced breakthroughs has been delivered to us in a surprising fashion: not by adding something new, but by allowing more freedom to a current treatment.
What Exactly Are Invisalign Clear Braces?
Before we dive further into the freedom provided by the Invisalign treatment, allow us to provide a bit of background if you aren’t already familiar with them. Invisalign clear braces (also known as clear aligners) are dental appliances meant to address a variety of orthodontic issues. For your convenience, we’ll list the most common dental concerns Invisalign clear braces resolve:
- Crooked or Misaligned Teeth: Invisalign treatment provides a quick and comfortable straightening solution to crooked and misaligned teeth for a more appealing and healthier smile.
- Gapped Tooth or Uneven Spacing: If you have gaps between your teeth that expose excess amounts of gum, it can make you self-conscious about your smile. Invisalign clear braces can close gaps between teeth subtly.
- Correcting Bite Issues: Underbite, overbite, or crossbites can put undue stress on your jaw and teeth, creating future dental problems. Thankfully, all of these can be resolved with a personalized Invisalign treatment plan.
While all of the above are impressive, this post focuses on one of the most unique and revolutionary features of Invisalign clear aligners that made it a much more favorable option to traditional braces: removability. So let’s dive back into the main topic, shall we?
What Does Removability Mean?
Well, just as it sounds, Invisalign clear braces are removable. The aligners themselves are streamlined in design, made from a medical-grade polymer that allows them to rest comfortably atop the teeth and be taken out when necessary or desired. They also come with a case for just such an occasion.
The clear braces’ minimalistic design is all thanks to the in-depth and complex creation process. During your consultation, there will be x-rays of your mouth, digital images taken of your teeth, and even photos taken of your facial structure which are uploaded to a specialized computer program to optimize your Invisalign treatment. You can even watch it in real-time!
Why Is Removability Such a Concern?
To fully understand how incredible and revolutionary removability is when it comes to dental appliances, we should look at two key points: how removable designs like Invisalign clear aligners differ from traditional braces and how it benefits patients.
Invisalign Clear Braces vs. Traditional Braces
Invisalign treatment is nearly invisible, comfortable, and won’t disrupt day-to-day activities. The same can’t be said for traditional braces which have earned the moniker “metal mouth” for a reason—traditional braces rely on an overly complex series of wires, braces, and brackets physically anchored to your teeth that are constantly pulling in certain directions.
To maintain the correct amount of tension to shift your teeth, traditional braces can’t be removed and in fact, can’t be disrupted. That is why metal braces come with dietary restrictions, headgear, and frequent dentist visits to ensure they are functioning accurately.
On the other hand, Invisalign clear braces work by applying corrective, precise pressure that changes naturally as you progress to the next set of aligners—making for fewer visits and restrictions, but just as good of results.
The Benefits of Removability
Alright, with all the history and the technical information out of the way, let’s get to what you really want to know: the actual benefits of removability! Well, there are plenty of them, so let’s take a look at the list:
- No Dietary Restrictions: With Invisalign clear braces, you won’t have dietary restrictions like traditional braces. Why? Because you can simply remove your clear braces before each meal.
- Continue Playing Your Favorite Sports: Traditional braces can take you out of the game for a long time because they make it impossible to wear a mouthguard. Not an issue with the removability provided with your Invisalign treatment.
- No Added Anxiety for Big Moments: If you have a job interview, photo shoots, or a date planned, Invisalign clear braces gives you the freedom to remove your braces, so you can fully focus on the big moments in life.
Contact Us Today for Your Invisalign Treatment Options
Being treated as a unique individual with personalized care is what residents of Seattle have come to expect from Magnolia Dental Care. Instead of seeing you as a nameless patient, our fantastic team of dental professionals wants to learn about your dental health goals and help you meet them.
Discover how we can use Invisalign orthodontics to help you love your smile! Schedule an appointment today.